[OpenBIOS] [commit] r1209 - trunk/openbios-devel/arch/sparc32

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Sun Dec 8 14:29:34 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 12:37:22PM +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 08/12/13 12:25, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>
> >>Hi Aurelian,
> >>
> >>Thanks for the bug report. I've just downloaded your image above and
> >>tested it against a fresh build of OpenBIOS r1235 here and it works
> >>fine for me (QEMU 1.7, gcc 4.7.1, sparc-elf-gcc cross-compile on
> >>Debian amd64). Is there anything else about your build environment
> >>that may be different somehow?
> >
> >I have tried on almost the same build environment than you, and I also
> >on a native gcc 4.8 compiler on sparc. For me this also doesn't work
> >with the OpenBIOS version provided in QEMU 1.7.0, using the following
> >command:
> >
> >   qemu-system-sparc -hda /tmp/debian_etch_sparc_small.qcow2
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Aurelien
>
> Hi Aurelien,
>
> Ahhh I see now - there was a change a while back to the way in which
> boot ordering information was passed from QEMU to OpenBIOS (with
> respect to default devices) in order to determine default boot
> devices. The net result was that things didn't work without an
> explicit boot device specified added to the QEMU command line.
>
> At the moment, you should be able to boot by adding "-boot c" to
> your QEMU command line. I'm not sure why that particular commit
> triggers the bug in your case though. Do you think that booting QEMU
> in this way without a specified boot device is a bug? If so, any
> insight as to what causes this would be gratefully appreciated.

Unfortunately it doesn't seems to work. I tried the following command,
with both the version in QEMU 1.7.0 and revision 1236, and it doesn't
work, hanging after "Trying disk...":

qemu-system-sparc -hda /tmp/debian_etch_sparc_small.qcow2 -boot c

Best regards,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien at aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net