[OpenBIOS] [commit] r1209 - trunk/openbios-devel/arch/sparc32

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Sun Dec 8 13:37:22 CET 2013

On 08/12/13 12:25, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

>> Hi Aurelian,
>>
>> Thanks for the bug report. I've just downloaded your image above and
>> tested it against a fresh build of OpenBIOS r1235 here and it works
>> fine for me (QEMU 1.7, gcc 4.7.1, sparc-elf-gcc cross-compile on
>> Debian amd64). Is there anything else about your build environment
>> that may be different somehow?
>
> I have tried on almost the same build environment than you, and I also
> on a native gcc 4.8 compiler on sparc. For me this also doesn't work
> with the OpenBIOS version provided in QEMU 1.7.0, using the following
> command:
>
>    qemu-system-sparc -hda /tmp/debian_etch_sparc_small.qcow2
>
> Best regards,
> Aurelien

Hi Aurelien,

Ahhh I see now - there was a change a while back to the way in which
boot ordering information was passed from QEMU to OpenBIOS (with respect
to default devices) in order to determine default boot devices. The net
result was that things didn't work without an explicit boot device
specified added to the QEMU command line.

At the moment, you should be able to boot by adding "-boot c" to your
QEMU command line. I'm not sure why that particular commit triggers the
bug in your case though. Do you think that booting QEMU in this way
without a specified boot device is a bug? If so, any insight as to what
causes this would be gratefully appreciated.