[OpenBIOS] Analysis of current Solaris 8 boot failure on SPARC32

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 23:31:47 CET 2011

On 03/01/11 21:59, Andreas Färber wrote:

> According to Tarl, the virtual address is not supposed to respect
> #address-cells but to use as many (integer) cells as needed for -
> hardcoded - one (stack) cell. I would thus expect the virtual address to
> be 4 bytes on sparc32.
>
> Maybe the physical address is wider than expected?

Reviewing this again now, the obvious thing to spot is that the virtual
address should be 2 cells wide in /virtual-memory:

ok cd /virtual-memory
ok .properties
.properties ?
ok .attributes
available                00000000  fff00000  00100000

i.e. the virtual address does seem to respect #address-cells here. I did
a quick hack on OFMEM here to see what happens if I do this, and now the
Solaris kernel gets stuck in a panic loop rather than invoking the fatal
trap in Qemu - which I guess is progress ;)

It does however mean that the translation information must be being
passed via the romvec memlist arrays, rather than being read from the
device tree properties unless there is another MMU device node somewhere
that we haven't found?