[OpenBIOS] sparc32 openbios - passing nvram options

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 19:42:58 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Dmitriy Kargapolov
<dmitriy.kargapolov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Blue Swirl <blauwirbel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Dmitriy Kargapolov
>> <dmitriy.kargapolov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I tried to install netbsd 5.0.2 to qemu-system-sparc (which uses
>> > openbios).
>> > Boot from cdrom image and installation passed with no problems.
>> > But I was not able to boot from hdd. All the -boot, -prom-env options
>> > kind
>> > of ignored by qemu-system-sparc...
>> > All tries end up with booting fromn cdrom (if presented).
>> >
>> > Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 64
>> > UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
>> > CPUs: 1 x TI,TMS390Z55
>> > invalid nvram partition length
>> > nvram error detected, zapping pram
>>
>> This looks like a very old version. Please use a recent one like SVN
>> HEAD, or the one shipped with QEMU (currently r859 in git HEAD).
>>
> Yes, I see Fedora-based packages (which I tried to use) are too old.
> To compile openbios from the repo I need sparc cross-compiler, -binutils,
> -glibc...
> I found no precompiled cross-tools for sparc in Fedora...
> What would be your recommendation regarding cross-tools version, what do you
> use to compile openbios and on what host platform?
> Thank you.

$ sparc-elf-ld -V
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18
  Supported emulations:
   elf32_sparc
   elf64_sparc
$ sparc-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: sparc-elf
Configured with: ../configure --enable-targets=sparc-elf,sparc64-elf
--disable-nls --disable-threads --enable-multilib --enable-languages=c
--with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --disable-libssp --target=sparc-elf
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.2.4

IIRC GCC configure line was almost identical to binutils line.

Optionally also:
$ sparc-elf-gdb -v
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --target=sparc-elf".

There's no need for glibc, OpenBIOS is a fully freestanding target.

I'd also recommend using QEMU from git HEAD.