[OpenBIOS] Cross-compiling and testing sparc64 on Mac OS X

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Sun Nov 29 23:17:30 CET 2009

Am 29.11.2009 um 19:32 schrieb Andreas Färber:

> Am 29.11.2009 um 17:12 schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
>
>> Andreas Färber wrote:
>>
>>> Not ruling out a QEMU issue, but it's specific to sparc64 on Mac
>>> OS X host.
>>> I never got further on sparc64, so the errors you are discussing
>>> now seemed like a leap forward. ;)
>>> On Linux/amd64 I do get the OpenBIOS prompt with either 'open is
>>> not unique' or 'byte-load exception' (testing Solaris 10 U3,
>>> Solaris Nevada b127 and MilaX 0.3.2).
>>
>> Right. So if you copy the openbios binary you built under Linux/
>> amd64 to your OS X host, does it work? This will tell you whether
>> it's an OpenBIOS build problem or a Qemu on OS X problem.
>
> It's probably not an OpenBIOS build problem. I was able to execute
> an OSX-built OpenBIOS on Linux and OpenSolaris. Executing a Linux-
> built OpenBIOS on OSX/ppc failed. Using same GCC 4.4.2 and binutils
> 2.20.

I've just checked on OSX/i386, and both stock and custom openbios-
sparc64 boot without the reported crash. So it's likely not a 32-bit
issue and it's not Mac OS X per se...

This is what I got booting Debian GNU/Linux 4.0r3 with -nographic btw:

[...]
Remapping the kernel... done.
Booting Linux...
Inconsistent console: input 5, output 5
EXIT
11a>

Without -nographic it hangs after "Remapping the kernel... done.",
making the fan spin louder and not dropping back to the OpenBIOS prompt.

Andreas