[OpenBIOS] RFC: fcode-utils portability

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Nov 29 14:57:26 CET 2009

Andreas Färber schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> When compiling the FCode utils on Mac OS X v10.5 I got an error when
> stripping. A workaround was to run `make STRIP=:`, not stripping at all.
>
> I now figured out that it's about the -s option: -s is short for
> --strip-all in GNU strip but in Apple's strip -s references a text
> file with a list of symbols to preserve. I didn't spot an obvious
> equivalent to --strip-all.
> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/strip.1.html
>

> Since the fcode-utils use pure Makefiles without prior art of
> platform-based decisions, I am wondering how to best supply a patch...
Generally a unified diff (as created by svn diff) is preferred.

> Should the hardcoded -s be moved to a new STRIPFLAGS variable or into
> STRIP itself?
I looked into the Makefile and there is no particular reason why to
choose --strip-all at all. The savings are minimal, but it's only
supported on GNU binutils. So I decided to drop it. Maybe we should just
drop stripping the binaries completely. They're tiny anyways.

I checked in a trivial fix... please let me know if you still have
problems...
> And more important, how would we set either variable based on
> platform? Do we assume GNU make so that we can get the platform via
> $(shell sh - c 'uname -s 2>/dev/null') or similar, as seen in Git?
> Creating a configure script seems like overkill for such a tiny fix.
Yes, let's assume GNU make.

Best regards,
Stefan