[OpenBIOS] PATCH: Implement push-package/pop-package

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Sun May 24 13:05:04 CEST 2009

Igor Kovalenko wrote:

> Another point for implementing claim/release is the need to correctly work
> with PCI VGA frame buffer.
>
> This shows up when I try to execute linux kernel in sparc64-softmmu. After
> kernel starts mapping pages using tlb the early low memory mappings
> set up by openbios code are started to go out from tlb entries. In short time
> after several lines are printed using prom console the openbios console
> driver fails because frame buffer pointer is not mapped anymore.
>
> PPC arch seems to have it implemented using claim and map which use
> memory management in ofmem.c (at least two versions are there).
> Should the memory management (ofmem.c) be shared by all arches?

I'd imagine that perhaps the claim/release functions could be shared,
whereas the map/unmap functions would naturally have to be specific to
each architecture. My C is reasonably good, although I don't know too
much about SPARC64 (yet!) nor the C side of OpenBIOS. If yourself/Blue
Swirl could come up with some code as a starting point, that would be
really great :)