[OpenBIOS] PATCH: Implement push-package/pop-package

Igor Kovalenko igor.v.kovalenko at gmail.com
Sun May 24 12:42:26 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This patch implements the missing push-package/pop-package words which seem
> to be included in various Fcode bootloaders (even though they are not part
> of the official spec). With this patch applied, I now get the following on
> my Solaris image/Qemu boot:
>

> OpenBIOS for Sparc64
> Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 0
> CPUs: 1 x SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
> UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
> Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0 built on May 24 2009 10:08
>  Type 'help' for detailed information
>
> [sparc64] Booting file 'disk' with parameters ''
> Not a bootable ELF image
> Not a Linux kernel image
> Not a bootable a.out image
> Loaded 5936 bytes
> entry point is 0x4000
> Evaluating FCode...
> open isn't unique.
> FCode UFS Reader 1.12 00/07/17 15:48:16.
> claim virt = 1 size = 200 align = 0
> Boot load failed.
>  ok
> 0 >
>

> So it looks as if we're now at the point where we need to start implementing
> the client interface claim/release functions.

Another point for implementing claim/release is the need to correctly work
with PCI VGA frame buffer.

This shows up when I try to execute linux kernel in sparc64-softmmu. After
kernel starts mapping pages using tlb the early low memory mappings
set up by openbios code are started to go out from tlb entries. In short time
after several lines are printed using prom console the openbios console
driver fails because frame buffer pointer is not mapped anymore.

PPC arch seems to have it implemented using claim and map which use
memory management in ofmem.c (at least two versions are there).
Should the memory management (ofmem.c) be shared by all arches?

--
Kind regards,
Igor V. Kovalenko