[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS SVN r416 breaks coreboot-v3

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Wed Jan 28 14:25:27 CET 2009

Mark Cave-Ayland a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> Whilst playing around with openbios to try and understand how it works
> on different platforms, I found that using coreboot-v3 with openbios SVN
> causes openbios to panic on boot under qemu SVN. The trace can be found
> here:
>
> http://pastebin.siriusit.co.uk/coreboot-v3-panic.txt
>
> With the help of some people on the coreboot mailing list, I've
> performed an SVN bisection and found that the panic starts appearing at
> r416 in openbios SVN for which the commit message can be found here:
>
> http://lists.openbios.org/pipermail/openbios/2009-January/003401.html
>
> However, I can't find any reference to the rationale behind the commit.
> Can anyone explain further explain whether is commit is correct or not?

The rationale is available here:
http://lists.openbios.org/pipermail/openbios/2009-January/003391.html

This commit fixes two different problems encountered on SPARC64 and
PowerPC. First of all it makes sure that no PCI device get allocated
port 0, which doesn't exists.

Secondly it fixes problems with non-PCI devices that are using I/O ports
at fixed location. This includes the video card, i8259, rtc, serial
port, hard-disk controller, etc. Without this patch, the PCI cards are
getting allocated the I/O ports of those devices, thus causing crashes.

I wonder why it causes problem on x86. What is the initial value of
arch->io_base? I am unable to find that looking at the code.

 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net