[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS to replace outdated laptop bios

J.P. Trosclair jptrosclair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 00:12:23 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

I found this project looking for ways to add 48bit LBA support to an x86
laptop. The laptop was manufactured ~2005 give or take to the best I can
tell. Anyway, it will not recognize more than 137GB of a hard drive (tested
with a brand new 250GB WD drive). The company that produced the laptop says
they will not provide anymore bios updates for it and they also said they
will not release any information or specifications regarding the motherboard
so that leaves me with very few options for attempting to address this
problem. The bios installed on it now is Phoenix 4.0 release 6 and it has no
serial numbers or anything that I've been able to find to help identify the
manufacturer of the motherboard, in fact, I'm starting to think the board
was built by the company who sold the laptop. Based on my research, the
laptop comes from a company called clevo who resells to companies that
rebrand the computers. With that said, I'm wondering if the OpenBIOS project
can help me to address the problem I've described.

Thanks for any information,
J.P.