[OpenBIOS] FCode on an embedded Leon-Sparc system

Blue Swirl blueswir1 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 21:41:53 CEST 2006

>For a scientific space project I'm thinking about including an FCode
>interpreter into the onboard software.
>The target system is a Leon3 processor (Sparc-V8) in FPGA with serial
>port(s), spacewire and a few other interfaces.
>I'm able to compile & run bare C applications (gcc cross-compiler), so
>it seems to me that I don't need a real BIOS.

So you probably won't need SCSI or floppy drivers or any of the filesystems.
These can be disabled by editing config/examples/cross-sparc32_config.xml.
What kind of serial port is this, Zilog or PC (16550)?

>Ideally the complete FORTH system should be in the range of 32-40 kBytes...

That can be difficult to achieve, currently the full build is 150k C code +
100k Forth. I don't know how much of the Forth is needed. Taking out
unwanted drivers etc. could help a lot on C side, but down to 30-40k?