[OpenBIOS] Starting QEMU with OpenBIOS for Sparc32

Blue Swirl blueswir1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 17:04:20 CEST 2006

>Can someone just give me a quick overview of the "right way" to start up
>QEMU so that it will load the OpenBIOS firmware instead of PROLL, and how
>point QEMU to my Solaris installation CD image file.

Just rename openbios-builtin.elf.nostrip to proll.elf. I don't know if
OpenBIOS can be compiled in Solaris, please report if you try.

>Do I need any hacks / patches to QEMU to use OpenBIOS instead of PROLL ?

The attached patch to CVS version of Qemu fixes several critical problems in
Sparc emulation.

>What debugging switches should I enable with QEMU to help me figure out why
>things aren't working when trying to boot the SunOS 4.1.4 (Solaris 1.1.2)
>installation CD ?
>
>Is there a "best way" to build OpenBIOS to ensure maximum useful debugging
>information is produced ?

I don't think Qemu debugging switches are that helpful, but enabling
CONFIG_DEBUG_OBP in OpenBIOS shows the OBP calls.

>If I'm repeating a whole lot of old questions, is there a FAQ for the QEMU
>+
>OpenBIOS (Sparc32) combination that someone can point me to ?

Well, the combination didn't even exist a couple of months ago...