[OpenBIOS] [OT] Freebios

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Wed Aug 29 04:51:34 CEST 2001

I don't know if anyone here is interested in this, but some time ago (1998) I
started writing a pc-compatible bios for fun, but never finished it.

So in case someone is interested in the little code I wrote you may find
it at http://ranmachan.dyndns.org/~ranma/freebios-0.0.1.tar.gz (~67KB) ...
[As long as my system is up, which should be nearly 24hours/day, and
my internet connection and the dyndns.org dns updates are working...]

I stopped because I had trouble figuring out how to enable SDRAM on my
Pentium Mobo with Intel chipset...
However for an older 486 Chipset there were specs in an old c't magazine, so
I was able to boot into dos with this piece of code...
(Don't know if it's still working, I did not try it recently...
The floppy code is buggy IIRC... No HD support)

Of course this probably doesn't help a bit with openbios development, but maybe
someone will find it interesting to look at :-)

GPL license, no reverse engineering of propriatary BIOSes was involved,
I had to go with only a few books (Basically "PC Hardwarebook" and
"PC Programmers Guide to low level Functions and Interrupts")

--
Tobias							     PGP-Key: 0x9AC7E0BC
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de