[OpenBIOS] Re: boy is EFI a kludge!

Stefan Reinauer stepan at core-systems.de
Tue Aug 28 21:03:42 CEST 2001

* Gavin Robert Brewer <gavinbr at gavinbr.worldonline.co.uk> [010828 17:34]:
> Thierry Deval wrote:
>

> > Are you talking about a BIOS ?
> > I think you're well beyond the subject...
>
> T. To be perfectly honest, BIOS is really a bit of an extra layer of
> stuff that not many people, (not even programmers), want.

It does not make sense to include all lowlevel startup functions in the
operating system kernel like ram controller or cpu caches initialization.
This will enhance the complexity of the Operating system kernel to a state
where it's not really maintainable at all. This stuff has to be done for
every motherboard/hardware combination seperately which blows up everything
without any advantage.

> Yes I have gone beyond the subject, but what I wish to create is an 'OS
> on a chip'. Unfortunately for you guys, you get all my spam, since the
> OpenBIOS are the only people who can support me on this venture.

Still making a cut between lowlevel code and OS code like
multitasking/scheduling algorithms makes perfect sense. It's just 2 different
programs running from flash with the one starting the other. Try to look at it
from a project maintainer's point of view. Those people taking care of how
the operating system performs do not want to take care of dozens of
ramcontrollers to be initialized before they can even start their algorithm
work. This is different with embedded systems where you have exactly one
hardware and you can rely on it without any unprobable initialization
functionality.

Best regards,
    Stefan

--
axiom: electronic devices only work if the smoke stays inside.
proof: when smoke comes out they don't work anymore.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de