[OpenBIOS] Re: boy is EFI a kludge!

Gavin Robert Brewer gavinbr at gavinbr.worldonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 17:34:57 CEST 2001

Thierry Deval wrote:

> Are you talking about a BIOS ?
> I think you're well beyond the subject...

T. To be perfectly honest, BIOS is really a bit of an extra layer of
stuff that not many people, (not even programmers), want.

Yes I have gone beyond the subject, but what I wish to create is an 'OS
on a chip'. Unfortunately for you guys, you get all my spam, since the
OpenBIOS are the only people who can support me on this venture.

My proposition is to take a whopping great EPROM chip, + a whacking
small OS Microkernel, ( < 64 Kb ), and bundle them together in one
single machine.

Here is an outline of my proposed architectural idea:

+-----------+   +------------+   +------------+
|           |   |            |   |            |
|  Coldfire |   |    ""      |   |    ""      |
|  CPU      |   |    ""      |   |    ""      |    etc ->
|           |   |            |   |            |
+-----------+   +------------+   +------------+
   |   |            |   |            |   |
---|   |------------|   |------------|   |------
		Shared Bus Topology
---|   |------------|   |------------|   |------
   |   |            |   |            |   |
+---   ---+     +----   -----+   +----   -----+
|	  |     |   Flash    |   |    64K     |
| I/O PIC |     |    HDD     |   |   EEPROM   |
|	  |     +------------+   +------------+
+--|   |--+
   |   |

The Flash HDD is available from Bimicro Networks at:

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_fc.html

64K EEPROMs can be obtained from motorola, as can PICs DDR RAM etc.

That is about as far as the idea goes at present.

All the best,
		Gavin.

--
~--(Eric Developer)--~