[OpenBIOS] Re: boy is EFI a kludge!

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Tue Aug 28 13:45:12 CEST 2001

Gavin Robert Brewer wrote:

> Yes I have gone beyond the subject, but what I wish to create is an 'OS
> on a chip'. Unfortunately for you guys, you get all my spam, since the
> OpenBIOS are the only people who can support me on this venture.

=)
Mee tooo!
To an extent...
I realize that the low-level istruction set of the processor should only
be known to the firmware of the system. The firmware, in turn, should
support safe and typed languages so that layers of hardware complexity
such as paging systems and protection can be eliminated.

Instead of putting a filesystem in the BIOS (PUKE!!!) I would design the
filesystem so that the first few blocks on the volume contains the code
to operate the filesystem! This way any volume can be put in any
computer and accessed by ANY operating system. =)

x86 is not a viable platform for OS development, I have found. =(
I would like to start a company to design and devel hardware that
doesn't suck.

I'm using this yahoo glub:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/techieknights

as a staging area for my efforts. Right now the biggest issue is the
business plan. I have about 50% of it, I need all the help I can get to
do the other half. =)

--
If your grandmother can use Linux then perhaps she wouldn't mind
admining my server/router and my workstation for me, I just don't have
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de