[OpenBIOS] Some VGA set up that seems to work on a 440BX with a PCI (Rage II I card)

Wallace I. Kroeker WallaceKroeker at smarttech.com
Wed Feb 16 11:48:07 CET 2000

	Hello,

	Ron was asking about this and here is the code snippets that managed
to get things working for me.
	Of course, I had the interrupt incorrect as it is int 10h ... sorry.

	The following goes in boot/boot16/start.asm  (I put it right after
the FPU reset):
	;;*************
	;; set up the VGA into text mode
	mov ah, 0x00
	mov al, 0x07	;  a MDA type mode
	int 10h

	PAUSE  ;  delays are always good when you are counting on other
devices to set up

	;; load a character set ... the card usually have a few predefined
	mov  ah, 0x11
	mov   al,0x01	; 8x14
	;; *** mov al, 0x02 ; this is for 8x8
	mov bl, 0x00	;  load it into a character table (0 or 1) in this
case 1
	int 10h

	PAUSE

	;;  Activate the character set 0
	mov ah, 0x11
	mov al, 0x03
	mov bl, 0x00	;; activate character table 0
	int 10h

	PAUSE

	;;; Just for a test you can try to output a character now
	;; mov ah, 0x0A
	;; mov al,  0x55	; a character
	;; mov bh, 0x00	; video page number
	;; mov bl,  0x00 	; foreground color of character for graphics
mode
	;; mov cx, 0x01 	; repeat factor

	;;**********

	The following changes need to be made in the

	VIDEO.H

	#define VIDEO_MDA 1
	#define VIDEO_CGA 2
	#define VIDEO_EGA 3
	#define VIDEO_VGA 4

	CONSOLE.C in the console_init:

	have_video = video_init( VIDEO_VGA );

	VGA.H

	// #define VGA_FBBASE 0xb8000
	#define VGA_FBBASE 0xb0000	// this is the MDA area

	Hope this helps getting things going for you.

	Wallace

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de