[OpenBIOS]: Pros & Cons

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Mon Mar 8 20:36:11 CET 1999

Hi.. :-)

> > We could create somekind  interface for adding custom modules.
> > Some programs might fit directly to same EEPROM with OpenBIOS.
>=20
> This definitely seems like the best option, we can just generate code to =
use modules in flash, and look at the
> possibility of loading additional modules from secondary storage if/when =
we start to fill up typical flash
> ROMs.

Yes. this could happen in several stages
* from floppy disk (early stage)
* from harddisk/cd (OS/special hardware dependant modules)
* from network
=20
> BTW all the machines I have access to at the moment have either 128k, or =
256k flash ROMs, if you write
> efficient code, then it will take a long time to use up all this storage =
- it's not that long ago that most of
> my computer's operating system (including GUI) came in a 256k ROM.

Hehe... yes. The Amiga had a nice design.. :-)
Of course should all storage space be used which is in my opinion
possible, if you keep things as modular as possible.

> Does anyone know what support services (if any) a typical VGA BIOS requir=
es from a system BIOS?  Presumably
> we'll need to jump to a VGA BIOS to get the graphics card in a sane state=
?

This part already works in current implementations of OpenBIOS (thanks to
Daniel) I am not really into the current code but afaicr from the Alpha
BIOS emulation, only one or two functions have to be called to get a vga
compliant display

Regards,
=09Stefan

--=20
SuSE GmbH                                       Can you afford *NOT*
Schanz=E4ckerstr. 10                                     to use Linux?
D-90443 N=FCrnberg                 =09
Germany                         =09=09=09AlphaPowered