AW: POST Probes -> Was -> Re: Here's a plan

Stephan Müller stephan_mueller at gmx.net
Sat Mar 13 14:55:00 CET 1999

> Whilst this is a good idea, it wasn't quite what i was thinking about, for
> the only reason ... wouldn't this give us flashing problems, or can you
> also arrange to be able to flash to the '2nd' BIOS ..? (I said I was not
> much good with digital electronics design ;-))
>
> However, assuming that one BIOS can be programmed, and the other maybe
> read-only? any design ideas/plans etc...  If this works, I'd like
> to get my
> hands on a plan ASAP cause this would be just what I need...
>

> > This is all, of course, very simple design.
> >

> I hope so ;-)
The simplest method to switch between 2 Flash-memories is to connect both of
them and switch the CHIPENABLE-pin between the two flashs. Only the Flash
with the CE enabled will respond to requests. So there can be more than one
flash at the same address. Switching is done by connecting the
mainboard-CE-Connector to either one of the two flashs (CE-pin of them). A
simple switch can do this. And probably there can be more than 2 flashs the
same time connected (not enabled).
If somebody is interested in developing such a system, he can contact me, we
can try to do this, cheap and efficient for openBIOS-developers.

Ciao,
	Stephan [SpaceNet-Systems]