AW: POST Probes -> Was -> Re: Here's a plan

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Sun Mar 14 09:32:31 CET 1999

Stephan Müller wrote:

> The simplest method to switch between 2 Flash-memories is to connect both of
> them and switch the CHIPENABLE-pin between the two flashs. Only the Flash
> with the CE enabled will respond to requests. So there can be more than one
> flash at the same address. Switching is done by connecting the
> mainboard-CE-Connector to either one of the two flashs (CE-pin of them). A
> simple switch can do this. And probably there can be more than 2 flashs the
> same time connected (not enabled).

Definitely, not a problem at all.

> If somebody is interested in developing such a system, he can contact me, we
> can try to do this, cheap and efficient for openBIOS-developers.

What we need to find out is exactly what everybody wants and probably
make one "OpenBIOS Development Device" that has the most popular
features.

What we need to know is what everybody wants, do we want just the
"multiple flash" device, or do we want POST functionality as well. If we
want POST, do we want regular or our own "enhanced" POST method.

I really do think we all need POST if we plan to do any programming. I
do embedded systems which often do not have displays on them, I usually
hook up LEDs, LCDs, or serial ports for debugging purposes only. They
tend to save one's behind.

James Oakley
jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net