[OpenBIOS] comments and ideas

Dave Cinege dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org
Thu Feb 19 19:36:38 CET 1998

Stephane Boyer wrote:

> sboyer at smegheads.montreal.qc.ca                 Tel: (514)-457-6124
>   root at smegheads.montreal.qc.ca
>                                                 Stephane Boyer
>  L      I      N      U      X                  691 Surrey
> -------------------------------                 Baie d'Urfe, Quebec
> the choice of a GNU generation.                 CANADA  H9X-2E8
>
> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > > what is really needed, is a a true 32bit bios for people that single
> > > boot
> > > Linux. this bios should  boot directly into protected mode (this way it can
> > > load uncompressed kernels).
> >
> > Why is it needed? Linux can live with current bioses. There's no need
> > for 32bios. Linux can do that things itself. What is needed is 16bit
> > bios.
> >

> we already have a 16bit bios! and they work well enough. if you dual-boot
> dos/Linux , fine stay with a 16bit bios, but if you only use Linux,
> wouldn't you want a bios that was specificaly made for it.

No. I have several linux servers here. Durign the rarity that they reboot I
could care less about the BIOS.

On my own workstation I have DOS, NT, 2 installs of OS/2, and Linux. That's
where I need the flexablity of a new BIOS (with boot loading features, etc)

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe
Problems?  dcinege at psychosis.com