[OpenBIOS] comments and ideas

Stephane Boyer sboyer at smegheads.montreal.qc.ca
Thu Feb 19 15:22:44 CET 1998

sboyer at smegheads.montreal.qc.ca                 Tel: (514)-457-6124
  root at smegheads.montreal.qc.ca
                                                Stephane Boyer
 L      I      N      U      X 			691 Surrey
-------------------------------                 Baie d'Urfe, Quebec
the choice of a GNU generation.			CANADA	H9X-2E8

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > what is really needed, is a a true 32bit bios for people that single
> > boot
> > Linux. this bios should  boot directly into protected mode (this way it can
> > load uncompressed kernels).
>
> Why is it needed? Linux can live with current bioses. There's no need
> for 32bios. Linux can do that things itself. What is needed is 16bit
> bios.

we already have a 16bit bios! and they work well enough. if you dual-boot
dos/Linux , fine stay with a 16bit bios, but if you only use Linux,
wouldn't you want a bios that was specificaly made for it.

Steph!

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe