Interrupts needed by LILO

Todd Whitesel toddpw at best.com
Sat Dec 12 02:01:28 CET 1998

> > The main reason I do not like OpenFirmware is that it presumes a slow,
> > frozen driver in ROM with its own frozen idea of how interrupts and DMAs
> > should work will be good enough that my kernel will never want to replace
> > it. Yeah, right.
> Well, that was a property to OF that I was unaware of. What I like about
> OF is the Forth code, the device tree and that is is a standard.

Agreed. I guess I'm just cranky because I think OpenFirmware is limping
because their mission is limited to "like the PC BIOS, only cleaner and
interpreted". This means they don't provide compelling value to the
hardware vendor who only cares about x86. So it's no wonder the PC market
ignores them and it's the SPARCs and Macintoshes that use OpenFirmware.

If OpenBIOS wants to go the OpenFirmware route, that would actually speed
adoption among some groups, as the NetBSD guys have quite a bit of
experience already using OF drivers to boot their kernel.

http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/ofw.html

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com