[flashrom] Flash T500

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu May 10 23:21:36 CEST 2018

Hello Kamil,

your message was filtered due to its excessive size. Please do not send
big attachments to the mailing list.

On 10.05.2018 11:33, Jan Zuber wrote:
> yesterday I wanted to flash the bios on my t500 with libreboot and it
> did not work.
> In the picture you see the error message.

Which was:

>> Verifying flash... FAILED at 0x00003401! Expected=0x5f, Found=0x6e, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x007fffff: 0x179
>> Your flash chip is in an unknown state.

Also, it's hard to say what is going on as you didn't even tell us the
command you used. All I can see is that you are using a Raspberry Pi
for external flashing.

> I tried to play the oroginal rom again but then the same mistake was shown.

That address (0x3401) might be used by the ME (a micro controller embed-
ded into the chipset). And the ME can cause corruption while it's still
active. You might have woken it up by applying power (even if you just
connected VCC to the flash chip; it's connected through the board to
the chipset).

So the BIOS can share the flash chip with the ME, it is partitioned and
I suspect libreboot also messes with the partitioning. If you have a
valid backup of the original flash contents: flashrom is accompanied by
a tool called `ich_descriptors_tool` it can tell you a lot about the
firmware configuration and partitioning.

I don't know what libreboot puts at that address. Generally it's a bad
idea to flash the ME region and libreboot in one go.

> Can you help with please?

I would try again to see if the "failed byte count" gets lower, and if,
try again until it's 0. If that doesn't help, you can try to remove all
power from the mainboard, wait some minutes or an hour and try again.
Maybe the ME calms down.

I could also be very wrong and this might not be about the ME at all in
case your hardware setup is unreliable. Did you validate your backup
with some verification runs (i.e. tried to read multiple times to make
sure that reading works?

Nico