[flashrom] Flashing iPXE on Intel i210 on Supermicro X11SSL-F

Bill Paul wpaul at windriver.com
Tue Mar 6 19:52:23 CET 2018

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Alex Henderson had to
walk into mine at 09:08 on Tuesday 06 March 2018 and say:

> Vadim:
> 	Usually programming the firmware ROMs for Intel NICs requires software
> from Intel.
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005790/softwar
> e/manageability-products.html may do the trick. Alex

Yeah, except Intel's tools only support ROM images generated by Intel and
stored in their magic file format. You can't use them to flash your own custom
images. You can only do that with flashrom. :)

The problem here is that flashrom has to know the flash programming interface
used on the NIC, and sadly they aren't all the same. When I tried it, I used
an 82574L card. At the time it was not supported. However, the 82574 uses the
same programming interface as the 82571, which _was_ supported, so making it
work was just a matter of adding the 82574's device ID to the right table in
flashrom.

You can attempt to do the same thing with the i210, but I don't know offhand
if that will work. If it doesn't, then you'll have to download the programming
manual for the i210 and add a new programming algorithm to flashrom.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Member of Technical Staff,
                 wpaul at windriver.com | Master of Unix-Fu - Wind River Systems