[flashrom] Flashing MX 25L12873F on MSI board via Raspberry Pi SPI

Fabian Köster mail at fabian-koester.com
Tue Jan 9 21:36:10 CET 2018

Hello list,

I recently tried to update the BIOS of my MSI H87-G43 [1] from an usb
disk using the "M-Flash" method. The update seemed to have succeeded,
but now the board does not do anything at bootup anymore. No screen
output, no beeping. At first, one of the LEDs (i guess HDD activity)
blinked  periodically, but after a few restarts it does not even do that
anymore.

After doing some research I found some guides abouting flashing the bios
chip from outside. One article especially captured my interest, which
described how to access the flash chip via the JSPI1 header on the
mainboard from a Raspberry Pi [2].

I followed that guide, but I cannot manage to get a connection to the
chip. I found out the used chip is a MX 25L12873F [3], but it is not
listed as supported on [4], does this mean it will not work with Flashrom?

Or is maybe something wrong with my wiring? In contrast to the
description of the JSPI1 MSI connector on [5] the connector on my board
has 12 pins, so I was a little bit confused.

I am new to this topic and very thankful for any help!

Regards
Fabian

[1] https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/H87-G43.html
[2] https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289550.0