[flashrom] Flashrom wiki: what license is the content under?

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Sat Mar 18 17:50:56 CET 2017

Hi folks,

I have looked at a number of pages on the Flashrom wiki, though not all of them.

None of the pages I have looked at mentioned the license (if any)
under which their content is available.

My understanding is that means that much (maybe all) of the
documentation in the Flashrom wiki is proprietary (at least, in the
overwhelming majority of jurisdictions). IANAL, though.

If my understanding is incorrect, please could you point me towards
information that should correct it?

Alternatively, it would be great if the Flashrom wiki contributors
could license the documentation in the wiki under one or more free
culture licenses: https://freedomdefined.org/Licenses

Ideally, Flashrom would license the content under the GFDL and CC
BY-SA 3.0, making the content entirely license-compatible with content
from Wikipedia and from the Stack Exchange network of websites.

If you agree with the position I have taken above, please do reply to
this thread to say so, especially if you have suggestions about how to
best achieve the (re-)licensing.

If you disagree with my position, please reply to explain your disagreement.

Thanks,

Sam

P.S. For a parallel discussion of the license for Coreboot wiki
content, please see:
https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-March/083607.html