[flashrom] Larger SPI NOR flash parts

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 06:32:05 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Ed Swierk <eswierk at skyportsystems.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:54 PM, David Hendricks
> <david.hendricks at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Getting 4-byte address support in is something I'm interested in as
> well. In fact I have parts coming in the mail this week :-)
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Alex Henderson <
> ahenderson at aparnasystems.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi there:
> >>
> >>                I just started experimenting with flashrom using a
> Dediprog SF600 this weekend. I noticed that there’s no support for any of
> the 256Mb or 512Mb SPI NOR parts (4 byte addressing an issue?).
> >

> > The Dediprog SF600 has commands for 4-byte addressing, but I was not
> able to get them working in the time I had to play with it. We can probably
> also ask Dediprog if they have an updated command spec, maybe there was a
> problem in the one I was looking at.
> >

> >> Is there a newer version than 0.9.9 that I should try? I did find that
> the Google fork for chromeOS has a number of these parts (W25Q256, N25Q256,
> SST_25F256).
> >

> > Yes, but the systems those went in treated them as 16MB parts. The
> firmware (coreboot) is small so there wasn't really need for the extra
> space.
> >
> >>                I would be happy to try an unreleased version & report
> results. I can also test with an FTDI232 based programmer. The boards I can
> test with currently have various versions of 25q512, 25q256, 25q128 and
> 25q32. Functionality with the smaller parts looks good.
>
> I'm a bit late to the party here, but in case it's relevant: I
> successfully programmed a Micron N25Q512, which is a 64 MByte SPI
> flash with 4-byte addressing, using patches originally from Boris
> Baykov on top of a more current flashrom. See
> https://github.com/skyportsystems/flashrom/commits/master .
>
> Both FT232H module and STM32 Blue Pill board with stm32-vserprog
> firmware work as programmers.

Nice! I've also had success with Boris's patches, as have others:
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/19525/ . That version is squashed, though,
so perhaps the patches in your repo will be better for merging.

I also uploaded a patch to enable 4BA support on the Dediprog SF600 which
Alex might be interested in trying out:
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/19858/