[flashrom] Fwd: Re: [#ZJW-196-68375]: how to setup power options

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Wed Apr 19 00:30:33 CEST 2017

Hello Martin,

On 18.04.2017 20:36, Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have problem after trying flash QNAP TS-453A

> Proceeding anyway because user forced us to.
> Found chipset "Intel Braswell".
> This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date version
> of flashrom *and* were (not) able to successfully update your firmware
> with it,
> then please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a verbose
> (-V) log.
> Thank you!
> Enabling flash write... Warning: BIOS region SMM protection is enabled!

this means the chipset has a write protection configured that makes
flashrom unusable. Don't ask me why QNAP thinks it could work. Maybe
they modified flashrom to circumvent some security-by-obscurity.

> Warning: Setting Bios Control at 0x0 from 0x2a to 0x09 failed.
> New value is 0x2a.
> Warning: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.
>
> what I can do now?

If you made a backup, you can try to write that back. I would expect it
to work. The flash chip is actually not only used for the BIOS but some
Intel chipset configuration and firmware too. That it failed at 0x300000
probably means that the chipset part was written but the BIOS part not
(due to the write protection mentioned above).

If you need further guidance please run

    ./flashrom -p internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop -o logfile

which will gather additional information and write it into `logfile`.
Please attach that file.

In any case please report to QNAP support that their instructions didn't
work. If you want help flashrom to better support this device, ask them
for the source code of the flashrom binary they packaged.

Regards,
Nico