[flashrom] BIOS image write and safety

Nicolas Clerc ncl at opit.ch
Fri May 13 17:00:25 CEST 2016

Hi guys,

I need for a specific project to change BIOS Settings on many computers.

So far, I used flashrom to read out the flash memory of my BIOS.
Flashrom successfully detects the Winbond W25Q32.V flash, and I can dump
the whole 32Mbits.

With your experience, do you know if it is *generally* quite safe to
write an image that has been dumped (both using flashrom ofc) ?

I have been doing several memory dumps of this BIOS flash, each one
separated by a reboot, and can see a modification between each dump. I
suspect there's a kind of event log or journal that is kept by the BIOS,
but I can't find a way to read it (neither BIOS menu nor external
software). The BIOS is from AMI.

Any advice is welcome,

Cheers
Nicolas