[flashrom] PATCH: whitelist for ThinkPad T500 and R400

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 13 13:24:28 CET 2016

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:45:07 +0000
Francis Rowe <info at gluglug.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> On 12/03/16 00:58, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> > Hello Francis, thanks for your patch. Yes, they should be added. Could
> you please also post the respective lspci logs? IIRC the vendor's flash
> descriptor prohibits flashrom from fully working on these machines, right?
>
> Flash descriptor setting is irrelevant afaik, but yes, it can
> write-protect the chip. I don't have ability to get logs at the moment,
> but I've been using these whitelists on the laptops they're for, with
> all regions set read-write in a [modified] descriptor region that sets
> the whole chip read-write, and they do work.

It's not relevant for the whitelist but for the supported list (the
array in print.c). We definitely do not want to make the impression that
a device works with the firmware it comes with when it does not, cf.
https://www.flashrom.org/Supported_hardware#mobile_devices_ref15
(although that list could be extended a lot... no one cared so far).