[flashrom] EN25Q128 (Thomson TG582n router) flash problem?

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 17:08:54 CET 2016

On 12/03/2016 15:46, "Stefan Tauner" <stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 15:31:27 +0000
> Adrian Graham <witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for replying! I actually found out the reason for the discrepancy by
>> accident last week - that flash has an OTP section that's locked so the 2k
>> that's unavailable will be down to that. Reflashing and reconnecting
>> everything got me going again so I'm now chasing down a CFE bootloader for
>> the BCM6328 chip in this router :)
>
> The OTP memory is separate to the ordinary 16 MB flash memory and
> cannot produce these results. It is also only 512 bytes in size
> according to the data sheet in the (current) revision E of the EN25Q128.
>
> So you did eventually write the full chip with flashrom and receive a
> VERIFIED message at the end? If you still have a log file of that
> please post it, thanks.

Ah, OK. In that case I don't know why it didn't finish writing then, unless
my temporary connections between RasPi and flash moved a little bit or just
aren't tight enough for a good signal. Cable length maybe - signal path is
RasPi -> 40pin IDE cable -> hookup wires (15cm) soldered to the pads on the
chip. Now that I've got more female-female jumper wires I can go direct to
the Pi to shorten the distance drastically.

Currently I've got the flash hooked up to a parallel port on an old desktop
so I can use SPIPGMW which has just dumped the whole 16mb to disk so I can
try writing it back to see if it fails indicating a bad area in flash.

Cheers,

--
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs creator/curator