[flashrom] Giving to -i option some real use

Nico Huber nico.huber at secunet.com
Mon Apr 25 16:38:58 CEST 2016

Hi,

I've looked at many patches now and feel pretty dazed.

While it's not ready yet (most probably because it didn't get a review),
I'm in clear favor of Alexander's approach:
> https://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2014-October/012967.html

It does what I'd expect of layout support, takes the erase blocks into
account, and leaves the whole code in a better shape (gets rid of the
ugly flow in doit()).

The separate functions for erase / read / verify reminded me of lib-
flashrom, and that I actually wanted to rewrite doit() years ago to
use the libflashrom functions. Which brings me to the following pro-
posal:

1st take the modified walk_eraseregions() from Alexander's patch,
2nd rewrite the libflashrom patch to use it,
3rd rewrite doit() using libflashrom.

So far this would suffice my use case. However, it would overrun major
features of Stefan's layout patch series: The new layout format and
the `-i <image>[:<file>]` support. Well, the former seems orthogonal to
the other changes, and the latter would require more work for a similar
feature in libflashrom anyway.

So my main concern is that if I don't push forward libflashrom now,
we will maintain two code paths until libflashrom is used internally
by flashrom.

Any comments?

Best regards,
Nico

--
M. Sc. Nico Huber
Senior Berater SINA-Softwareentwicklung

Tel.: +49-201-5454-3635, Fax: +49-201-5454-1325
E-Mail: nico.huber at secunet.com
Mergenthalerallee 77, 65760 Eschborn, Deutschland
www.secunet.com

Sitz: Kurfürstenstraße 58, 45138 Essen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Essen HRB 13615
Vorstand: Dr. Rainer Baumgart (Vors.), Thomas Pleines
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Peter Zattler