[flashrom] Add option to disable the reading back of the flash contents at write operation

Márton Miklós martonmiklosqdev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:01:06 CET 2015

Hello all,

I am using the flashrom with an external programmer to flash various SPI
flashes a lot.
In most cases I do not care about the old flash contents when flashing,
so the "/Reading old flash chip contents/" step does not have any added
value in my use cases. The code also has a FIXME note where this is
hardcoded to make it configurable in the future. I would like to patch
it if possible.

Please propose me command line arguments for disabling it. My proposal:
/-N | --nobackup  skip reading back old flash contents before write/

I know -N could be confused with -n but the same applies to the -v
(verify) and -V (verbose).
I also could live without the short argument, but that would break the
"standard".

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Miklos Marton