[flashrom] Proposed changes to flashrom hosting and workflow

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Sat Aug 8 15:04:31 CEST 2015

c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net>:

> If there really is a large demand for a non-svn hosting, I would be open
> to using mercurial (as master) because it at least has some sort of
> usability and can provide (conceptually limited) version numbers. I have
> worked for a few years with mercurial and the version numbers are
> extremely helpful even if they are per-branch and only semi-stable.

mercurial's notion of a monotonic commit counter (that you're looking for
if I understand you correctly) has about the same quality as git describe's
commits-since-last-tag counter.

For a global numbering scheme, you could just (automatically) tag every
single commit of a certain branch (master, release, ...) with a monotonic
counter. That's more or less what the svn-to-git translation of tianocore
is doing, for example (with tags following the scheme svn18670). That way,
those numbers are actually global, unlike what mercurial is doing.
Assume that the scheme is to use $version-$number since release: git
describe would emit something like 0.9.9-40-5-gabcde, meaning that your
tree is based on the tag 0.9.9-40 (globally unique), is 5 local commits
away from that, with your current local commit id being abcde.

Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: