[flashrom] Proposed changes to flashrom hosting and workflow

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Aug 8 10:23:38 CEST 2015

I would like to avoid git at all costs, even if it means I have to host
something non-git as main repo myself and pay for the hosting. Cloning
git into a local svn on my side is not an option because it combines the
worst usability aspects of git hosting (no version numbers) and svn
clients (no offline commits).

If there really is a large demand for a non-svn hosting, I would be open
to using mercurial (as master) because it at least has some sort of
usability and can provide (conceptually limited) version numbers. I have
worked for a few years with mercurial and the version numbers are
extremely helpful even if they are per-branch and only semi-stable.

About jenkins: Seems to be a good idea and would help detect patch bitrot.

About gerrit: Last time I tried gerrit the usability was horrible:
- needs registration (like a forum)
- has no usable mail interface (like a forum)
- you can't work on drafts for a review unless you keep the web browser
window open (like a forum)
If we really want to move to gerrit, we should close the mailing list as
well and switch to a forum which has roughly the same usability as
gerrit. I really mean it. We seriously should consider moving to a forum
_if_ developers prefer forum interfaces to mail.