[flashrom] Asus M2N-MX SE Plus: flashrom -VVV

Antonio aab at afoot.es
Sun May 11 19:54:38 CEST 2014

El Sun, 11 May 2014 15:09:43 +0200
Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at> escribió:
> On Sun, 11 May 2014 14:50:16 +0200
> Antonio <aab at afoot.es> wrote:
>
> > I can see the same behaviour (the "S" suffix), but maybe it is
> > because I already had flashed bios before this tests.
>
> Yes, exactly. Flashrom reads the existing data first and compares it
> with the given file. Because the data is equal it skips writing to the
> chip completely.
>
> > If it is of any use, I can
> > send logs of flashing with an older version of bios and then with
> > the last version... Please let me know what you think.
>
> I would not recommend that. Writing the firmware is always risky and
> it is not worth to take that risk just to add a new line to our list
> of supported mainboards. If, however, you want to take that risk, then
> yes, downgrading and (optionally) upgrading again is the way to go.

Hi!

Well, I went ahead as this motherboard was supossedly "lost" (failure
to verify with flashrom from debian wheezy).

First, I've flashed an old version of the motherboard bios (0503), and
everything seems fine: a lot of chuncks with the suffix "EW" (I guess
it means that some modification has been made) and flash verified. Read
flashrom1.log for the details.

Second, I've flashed the last version of the bios (0602) and, even with
some "EW" chunks, it has failed verification. Read flashrom2.log for
details.

Finally, I've used the very same command of the second step, and this
time everything went ok. I'm writing this after rebooting the computer
and checking from within the bios that last version had been installed.
Read flashrom3.log for details.

All in all, a funny experience. I'll look for more motherboards to
flash and I'll send the results.

Thanks!