[flashrom] Intel Lynx Point LP Premium: W25Q64.V chip not detected correctly

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Mar 22 02:10:40 CET 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:00:10 +0200
Denis Turischev <denis.turischev at compulab.co.il> wrote:

> Hi flashrom team,
>
> I'm trying to read BIOS on SPI flash on Intel Lynx Point LP Premium chipset.
> 16M SPI flash consists of two Winbond chips 8M (W25Q64.V).
>
> When I use ich_spi_mode=auto flash is not detected.
> When I use ich_spi_mode=swseq detected only one 8M chip.
>
> Can you help?

Hi,

swseq does not support the two-chip configuration (which is a hardware
limitation). In hwseq mode the software is not aware of any chips, hence
using the -c parameter leads to no detection. Leave out the -c
parameter and it will work... in general. Interestingly the flash
descriptor seems to be bogus in this case though. It specifies a wrong
density for the second chip, although the other addresses encoded in
there are according to your observation of two 8MB chips... either the
chipset is different or this is an error of the manu... oh, you ARE the
manufacturer ;)

Please check if the setting of FLCOMP in the flash descriptor is
according to the lynx point spi programming guide. I dont have access
to it. Either FLCOMP is set wrong or lynx point is different and this is
a bug in flashrom.