[flashrom] FAILED: peppy

John Lewis jlewis at johnlewis.ie
Thu Aug 21 13:40:25 CEST 2014

On 21/08/14 11:54, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:04:43 +0100
> John Lewis <jlewis at johnlewis.ie> wrote:
>
>> I'm not entirely convinced that's necessary from a technical safety
>> point of view, since I'm unaware of circumstances under which Flashrom
>> will not read a chip, but will still write to it. However, I've added
>> something in an attempt to exit out if the status is non-zero.
>
> I am not sure about chromiumos' version of flashrom, but I guess it
> will behave similar to vanilla flashrom: if it can't read the flash
> completely, it won't succeed in writing either (apart from file access
> problems for example).

I have made a vague attempt at dealing with file access problems, like
writing, but it does rely on the user copying and pasting correctly.

>> I'm unsure as to why this user is contacting you when this is my script.
>
> I presume because the flashrom output told him so. That's the reason
> why I have created the patch to change the support mail address printed
> by flashrom. I have sent a copy of the patch submission mail to you too
> BTW.

Still, it's a bit like contacting the dd developer because dd is used in
the script. And I guess that's why things like email addresses shouldn't
be hard-coded (at least outside of scripts).

I did see the patches thank you, but, my concern is having to use the
CrOS dev environment to change the ebuild and recompile, as compiling
outside that environment seems more problematic. It would be much easier
from my point of view if there were no email address/IRC info or it were
able to be defined with a command line parameter.

In the meantime, I'm going to use an inverted grep to blank that output
and see if I can make some of the script messages a bit more obvious as
to where help should be sought.

John.