[flashrom] Avoton patches for flashrom

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 5 01:49:45 CEST 2014

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 19:18:04 -0400
TR Reardon <reardonia at gmail.com> wrote:

> cool, just tried and was enable to read the descriptor (64K) and then
> the actual BIOS (6MB).  I had to edit out the write-only check in
> cli_classic.c, assumed that was relatively safe.

I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

> The --verify function doesn't work per se, but the files I was able to
> extract using --read matched.

I'd be interested in details... like logs ;)

> The BIOS files mostly seem to match what is posted by ASUS online.
> That is, other than configuration areas which I don't understand.  I
> assume that when a tool like BUPDATER from Asus reads a BIOS update
> file, it doesn't simply overwrite the entire BIOS area?  I mean, there
> are quite a few 64KB configuration areas containing things like the
> motherboard name.  Or is this relatively safe to overwrite?

Only ASUS knows. It might be completely save to overwrite such areas if
the firmware initializes them with a default configuration... but I
would not try that without a way to recover (e.g. external programmer...
which should be easy in your case because the flash is socketed).