[flashrom] How To Determine Chip Name In The Case Of Multiple Flash Chip Definitions Matched

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:04:24 CEST 2014

> Hello, the flashrom Community,
>
> I am trying to flash my server with "flashrom".   Motherboard is X8DA3 made
> by Supermicro.  The command I used is: "flashrom -w myFileName -p internal".
> Following are the errors:
>
> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3205(A)" (4096KB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xffc00000
> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3205D/MX25L3208D" (4096KB, SPI) at physical
> address 0xffc00000
> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3206E" (4096KB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xffc00000
> Multiple flash chip definitions match the detected chip(s): "MX25L3205(A)",
> "MX25L3205D/MX25L3208D", "MX25L3206E"
> Please specify which chip definition to use with the -c <chipname" option
>
> I also noticed that there is another flash chip related to the 32MB Macronix
> flash chip on the support list, namely the MX25L3235D.

That's megabit, not megabyte ;) so 32mbit would make 4 megabyte.
That chip is connected to the mainboard's remote management features.

> However, the array in the flashrom program only allocates array size of 3 and thus this chip
> name is not printed out.
>
> Question:
> 1.  Are all these chip name the same?

No, there most likely are subtle differences like page/sector size,
environment friendlyness, etcetera.

> 2.  If they are not the same,  which chipname should I use with the "-c"
> option?

This is where you subject the flash chip to a visual exam.
Photo of the mainboard:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Mainboard_supermicro_x8da3_IMGP0593_wp.jpg
Here, the flash chip is located to the right of the middle PCI slot.

> 3.  Is there a way to automatically determine this chipname by c or python?
> (My flashing application is written in python).
>
> Thanks...
> Andy Ngo
> andrew.h.ngo at leidos.com
> andyhngo at hotmail.com