[flashrom] How To Determine Chip Name In The Case Of Multiple Flash Chip Definitions Matched

Andrew Ngo andyhngo at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 04:41:48 CEST 2014

Hello, the flashrom Community,

I am trying to flash my server with "flashrom".   Motherboard is X8DA3 made by Supermicro.  The command I used is: "flashrom -w myFileName -p internal".    Following are the errors:

Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3205(A)" (4096KB, SPI) at physical address 0xffc00000
Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3205D/MX25L3208D" (4096KB, SPI) at physical address 0xffc00000
Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3206E" (4096KB, SPI) at physical address 0xffc00000
Multiple flash chip definitions match the detected chip(s): "MX25L3205(A)", "MX25L3205D/MX25L3208D", "MX25L3206E"
Please specify which chip definition to use with the -c <chipname" option

I also noticed that there is another flash chip related to the 32MB Macronix flash chip on the support list, namely the MX25L3235D.  However, the array in the flashrom program only allocates array size of 3 and thus this chip name is not printed out.

Question:
1.  Are all these chip name the same?
2.  If they are not the same,  which chipname should I use with the "-c" option?
3.  Is there a way to automatically determine this chipname by c or python?  (My flashing application is written in python).

Thanks...
Andy Ngo
andrew.h.ngo at leidos.com
andyhngo at hotmail.com