[flashrom] Genius G540 programmer - anyone looked into supporting it?

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 22:39:09 CEST 2013

I've bought a Genius G540 programmer, it's a very cheap (~$60 USD on ebay)
USB programmer that supports a ton of eproms and flash chips, with
reasonable flashing speed, but only with Windows software. I have tried
contacting the (chinese) manufacturer for documentation, but got no
response. There does exist a sourceforge project, g540tool (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g540tool/), that supports 4 flash chips,
and of those 2 are parallel EPROMs, 1 is LPC flash and 1 is SPI. The
downside is that with a current ubuntu install, with libusb installed, it
doesn't compile, and the code is very poorly documented. I'm wondering if
anyone has looked into supporting this programmer under flashrom, or else
if someone with more USB and flashrom experience could take a look at the
g540tool code and give me some pointers on where to start. g540tool also
has an odd license that I'm not sure how would mesh with GPL.

Thanks,
Corey