[flashrom] Genius G540 programmer - anyone looked into supporting it?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 12 23:29:03 CEST 2013

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:39:09 -0400
Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've bought a Genius G540 programmer, it's a very cheap (~$60 USD on ebay)
> USB programmer that supports a ton of eproms and flash chips, with
> reasonable flashing speed, but only with Windows software. I have tried
> contacting the (chinese) manufacturer for documentation, but got no
> response. There does exist a sourceforge project, g540tool (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/g540tool/), that supports 4 flash chips,
> and of those 2 are parallel EPROMs, 1 is LPC flash and 1 is SPI. The
> downside is that with a current ubuntu install, with libusb installed, it
> doesn't compile, and the code is very poorly documented. I'm wondering if
> anyone has looked into supporting this programmer under flashrom, or else
> if someone with more USB and flashrom experience could take a look at the
> g540tool code and give me some pointers on where to start. g540tool also
> has an odd license that I'm not sure how would mesh with GPL.

The license is freebsd/2-clause bsd and is compatible with the gpl.
Apparently a lot more reverse engineering is needed before one could
try adding support to flashrom... the dediprog module of flashrom was
also created by reverse engineering the traces of USB traffic sent by
the windows software, so this is definitely possible with enough time
in general, but looking at the existing g540tool code, this programmer
requires a lot more communication than dediprog...

I think it would be best if we would ask Ivo directly what he has to
say about this... hence I have added him to CC. Hi Ivo ;) If you do not
know what this is about at all, please take a look at
http://flashrom.org