[flashrom] Flash chips >= 32MB

Johannes Krampf johkra at googlemail.com
Tue May 14 22:47:28 CEST 2013

Hello,

I spoke with stefanct on IRC today about using flash chips of 32MB size
to store a small Linux installation next to coreboot. Apparently he will
work on support for 32 bit addresses needed for chips > 16MB during his
GSOC and he told me to write to this email address and he would give me
a definite answer after this summer.

Furthermore I've attached the log output when reading the flash of my
board (Asrock E350M1/USB3), maybe this can be of use. From reading the
specs, the highest capacity chip from Winbond for "PDIP8 300mil" is the
W25Q128FV. There is a 256Mbit version, but only in different packages.

Mh, a cli-only system should fit in a compressed 16MB ramdisk, but
adding X and a browser (midori) would already be a huge challenge on 32M.

Anyway, I hope your work will succeed.

Good luck,

Johannes