[flashrom] FAILED: <Elitegroup GF8200A>

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jun 8 09:55:32 CEST 2013

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:09:21 -0400
Knowledge <dark.knowledge.lnx at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks in advance, but came up with a misfortune, there was a power
> outage in my area and did not have UPS, to start again the pc and did
> not respond, I am on a black screen T_T.....
>
> there will be some way to load the bios by other means? appreciate any
> information of hope :'(

that's very unfortunate :/
before you try anything else, try to reset the cmos memory (with a
jumper usually). maybe the update was successful "enough" and the black
screen is just caused by non-default settings.

if that does not help there are essentially two options:
1. using the recovery code if it is still intact
2. using an external programmer to rewrite the flash chip

usually there is a small part of the bios with a very limited
initialization of the mainboard that is able to read bios files from
floppy disks and write them to the flash chip (known as bootblock). but
there is no floppy connector on that board AFAICS... no idea how this
stuff works nowadays. some boards have special means to update via USB
sticks, but no idea how good that works in general. also, we don't know
if that part of the flash is ok. the error happened in the part where
the bootblock usually is...

the other option is to use an external programmer which can be another
mainboard which also has a dip8 socket for its flash chip.
(see http://flashrom.org/Technology#DIP8:_Dual_In-line_Package.2C_8_pins)
it is possible to boot with the original chip and then swap it with the
wrongly written one and write it again. this does not work with all
boards but many. another option is to use a separate device to access
the flash chip. for example you could use an arduino or a buspirate or
any other embedded hardware that can connect to a PC with some effort.