[flashrom] Trouble disabling write-protection on Chromebook

BM-2cWKH3wgq8zXX9eHfba16oTc8b61ead4Yq at bitmessage.ch BM-2cWKH3wgq8zXX9eHfba16oTc8b61ead4Yq at bitmessage.ch
Fri Dec 20 19:59:32 CET 2013

> Can you try running "flashrom -p host --wp-disable -V" and pasting the
> output on paste.flashrom.org?

Here it is:
http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1851

>  > If you have a voltmeter handy, you can also try measuring the voltage
> on
>
>  > the /WP pin (pin 3). More details on pin configuration can be found in
>> the
>> > datasheet:
>> >
>> http://www.winbond-usa.com/hq/enu/ProductAndSales/ProductLines/FlashMemory/SerialFlash/W25Q32DW.htm
>> >

>> I don't have voltmeter; I'm sure I could locate one given enough time
>> though. Do you have any other suggestions as to steps I might be
>> overlooking here? Otherwise, what should I be looking for specifically
>> in
>> the Winbond data sheet?
>>

> Unfortunately I don't have many ideas here... I've only seen this once and
> it seemed to be a defective chip since I couldn't change the write-protect
> status by removing the chip and using an external programmer. (This was on
> a different machine, and not in a retail unit)
>
> The only reason for failure should be if there is anything bridging the
> gap
> between the copper pads around the write-protect screw hole, thereby
> connecting /WP on the chip to ground. If you have a magnifying glass, can
> you inspect just to make sure there is nothing connecting those pads?

I took the Chromebook apart and cleaned the area around the write-protect
screw hole using alcohol-dabbed q-tips a second time. Visual inspection
did not reveal anything that appeared to be joining the two "halves" of
the gold screw hole ring. Running "flashrom --wp-disable" as root gave me
the same failure message as before, details in the paste.

I executed "flashrom -p host --wp-range 0 0" and got this result:

flashrom v0.9.4  : 4169bc8 : Sep 21 2013 02:17:24 UTC on Linux 3.4.0
(armv7l), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.7.x-google 20130114
(prerelease), little endian
expected=0xe0, but actual=0xb8.
FAILED

Then, executing "flashrom -p host --wp-status" gave this result:

flashrom v0.9.4  : 4169bc8 : Sep 21 2013 02:17:24 UTC on Linux 3.4.0
(armv7l), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.7.x-google 20130114
(prerelease), little endian
WP: status: 0x00b8
WP: status.srp0: 1
WP: status.srp1: 0
WP: write protect is enabled.
WP: write protect range: start=0x00000000, len=0x00200000