[flashrom] Trouble disabling write-protection on Chromebook

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Thu Dec 19 00:02:43 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM, David Hendricks <dhendrix at google.com>wrote:

>> 4169bc8
>> saying

>> > That's weird... Since you have the system taken apart already, can you
>> try
>> > disconnecting the battery while the machine is unplugged? I'd recommend
>> > leaving it disconnected for a minute or so, the idea being to give the
>> SPI
>> > ROM enough time to fully discharge and reset.
>> >

>> Thanks for responding. I took your advice and disconnected the battery for
>> several minutes. After reassembling the board and running flashrom
>> --wp-disable again I am receiving the same message (FAILED). flashrom
>> --wp-status says:
>>
>> WP: status: 0x00b8
>> WP: status.srp0: 1
>> WP: status.srp1: 0
>> WP: write protect is enabled.
>> WP: write protect range: start=0x00000000, len=0x00200000
>

> Hmmm, that looks correct for normal circumstances (with write-protection
> enabled). Flashrom *should* be able to clear bit 7 of SRP0, so the status
> should show up be 0x38 after running with --wp-disable.
>
> Can you try running "flashrom -p host --wp-disable -V" and pasting the
> output on paste.flashrom.org?

You can also try "flashrom -p host --wp-range 0 0" and then "flashrom -p
host --wp-status" to see if that changes anything. I'm curious if it's just
that SRP0 bit that seems stuck. If the /WP pin is not grounded, then
hardware write-protection should not be in effect and you should be able to
effectively disable write-protection by clearing the range of protected
blocks even if SRP0 is set to 1.