[flashrom] Trouble disabling write-protection on Chromebook

BM-2cWKH3wgq8zXX9eHfba16oTc8b61ead4Yq at bitmessage.ch BM-2cWKH3wgq8zXX9eHfba16oTc8b61ead4Yq at bitmessage.ch
Mon Dec 16 18:14:25 CET 2013

Hello flashrom developers,

I'm having trouble disabling write-protection on my Samsung Arm
Chromebook. So far I've removed the metallic sticker covering the
"write-protect screw hole" according to the pictures on the Chromium wiki
<http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-arm-chromebook>.
On the Snow board, this hole ships with no screw in it. As root in
developer mode, the output of flashrom -v is "flashrom v0.9.4  : 4169bc8
...". The first time I ran flashrom --wp-disable, I got a message saying
the operation FAILED with error=1. At that point I took the board apart
again and cleaned the write-protect screw hole with q-tips dipped in
rubbing alcohol. When I reassembled the Chromebook and tried again with
flashrom -V --wp-disable, the last few lines I receive are:

w25_set_srp0: old status: 0xb8
w25_set_srp0: new status: 0xb8
w25q_disable_writeprotect(): error=1.
No -i argument is specified, set ignore_fmap.
FAILED
restore_power_management(): Power management enabled

As you can see, I can't seem to disable write protection on this chip. I'm
running stock ChromeOS. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in
advance.