[flashrom] Serprog/Arduino flasher

Eric Marks bigmarkslp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 09:46:57 CET 2013

I successfully used a Arduino Uno as a serprog programmer to program a
SST25VF016B with
Flashrom 0.9.5.2-r1517 on Ubuntu.

I had tried hooking the eeprom up to the Arduino via level shifting
via resistors, and then via level shifting mosfets + resistors, and finally
via a level conversion chip, but none of them worked reliably.  I finally
converted my Ardruino Uno to 3.3v by replacing the regulator.

http://learn.adafruit.com/arduino-tips-tricks-and-techniques/3-3v-conversion

This was a much easier solution, and it worked reliably.  Once converted to
3.3v, no extra components are needed.  Just wire the eeprom directly to
pins 10,11,12,13, GND, and 5V (which is now actually 3.3v).  Remember,
three pins of the eeprom go to 3.3v.

I still had to slow the UART speed down to 115200 for the Arduino sketch on
the Uno, and while reading took a normal amount of time, it took several
hours to program the chip.  I used -VVV to enable very very verbose output
to monitor the progress.

Could someone update the wiki with this information?  It didn't look like
there was any place to sign up and edit it myself.

http://www.flashrom.org/Serprog/Arduino_flasher

Thanks for helping me save a server!